wolf at the door


wolf at the door is now situated next to Stockroom, 98 Piper street , Kyneton.


Friday, July 23, 2010

Odette The Pea Hen sees all...


Wolf At The Door is renowned for stocking 'the unusual'..

It' a place where you can find a majestic Pea Hen, sitting quietly, overlooking the day's proceedings..

Or a wooden Robot Head with a big gap-toothed smile, next to ceramic bones, a giant spark-plug carved out of foam, rings made out of porcelain and hand soap shaped like, well, hands, among other weird and wonderful objet's d'intrigiue.

But back to Odette the Pea Hen. Made by artist Susan Close, she's become a bit of a favorite. She sits on boxes and cages, but when they are bought from under her - and they often are on regular basis - it can get difficult to find the right thing to prop her on. She's often found her way underneath my arm, even when I'm just talking to Wolf's customers, without me even realising she's there.. Until they look down at her, and then at me, and silently ask themsleves whether I might in fact be.. just a little bit mad.. (They could be right.)

Odette seems pretty contented watching the comings and goings at Wolf. But I do know that one day I'll get to work and find out she's no longer here, either bought by someone who likes her even more than I do, or she's gone off down the road to find one of the spectacular peacocks by Daylesford's Jubilee Lake... Can't say I'd blame her. They are pretty spunky.

No comments:

Post a Comment